Sunday, July 10, 2016

Weekend Report: Wilfrids Brunch and Pokemon Go

Food this weekend ->
Went Yang Ming Chinese Buffet on Merivale on Saturday for lunch.  It was the family along with our grandparents and relatives from Toronto.  We started eating just as a bus load of tourist arrived.  Alot of the dishes got emptied quickly. 
My 2nd plate was mostly fried stuff, mussels, mushrooms, and baked meat pastries.
Buffet Plate #2
I made my usual congee bowl too.
Congee Bowl.
Afterwards we went to my parent's house for my Grandma's birthday.  My mom bought a Bailey's Cheese Cake.
Baileys Cheese Cake.
This is the cross section.  I didn't find it very good.  It didn't have enough Bailey's taste and the cheese cake didn't have any flavour.  The cream was fresh, but it didn't have any flavour either.  For some reason, my mom would not let us eat Susanna's Tuxedo cake or my Tofufa...???
Meh.
For dinner, we went to Rideau Restaurant.  We got noodles and rice dishes.  Most of us were still kind of full, and I thought we should have just gotten the food to go.  Then we could have eaten it at a leisurely pace, when we were hungry.  But no, we just sat there for an hour slowly eating just to put it away.
Rideau Dinner.

For lunch on Sunday, we went to Wilfrids at the Chateau Laurier.  I wasn't impressed last time we were there and I was hoping were going to make a last minute change to go somewhere else.  But this time we got the "Brunch Buffet" instead of ordering from the lunch menu.  I was super relieved :)  The brunch was actually good. 
My 1st plate: roast beef, eggs benedict, sausages, smoked salmon, brie and cheddar cheese, deviled eggs, chicken salad, steak salad, garlic bread, and fresh bagette.  The eggs benedict was amazing!  Susanna and I ate alot of smoked salmon too.  At least $9 worth each.
Wilfrids Brunch Buffet Plate #1
For my 2nd plate, I had to get another eggs benedict.  The egg was perfect as it was still runny when sliced (see pic).  More roast beef and smoked salmon too.  The only bad thing I ate was the Yorkshire pudding.  It tasted burnt.
Brunch Plate #2
My dessert plate: maple crepes, fruit, key lime tart, and chocolate bark.  The maple crepes were very good.  Not overpowering sweet, but just sweet enough.  On the flip side, the key lime tart was way too sour.  I couldn't eat more than 2 bites.  I used the chocolate bark (along with my cousins Kevin and Michelle) to make white mocha coffee :)
Brunch Dessert Plate.
Summary: I would go back for this $40+ brunch buffet.  Totally worth it.  The lunch menu... probably not.

After brunch, we ate abit of Tuxedo cake.
Tuxedo Cake.
I also made potato, leek, sweet onion, broccoli, and lobster head soup on Friday.  It was good hot, but I found it better cold.
Soup.

Useless Gaming News:
Kevin showed me his "Pokemon Go" game on his phone.  It's not released in Canada yet, but there are ways to install it.  I'll wait for the official release.  After Rideau, we went to a couple Pokemon Gym locations in Glen Cairn.  He was going to take them over by defeating the Gym Leaders and Guardians there.  That's when we hit a glitch, and the enemy Pokemon would get stuck at 1 hitpoint and wouldn't die.  It was too bad as we were slaughtering the enemy pokemon.  Some tips here.  Apparently there is a high level Blastoise defending the Gym at the White House.  Cool.

We also played some board games.  We played "Cash n Guns", a hilarious few rounds of "Telestrations", and a little bit of "Broom Service".  "Cash n Guns" was the 2nd edition.  It has alot of improvements over my first edition copy.  I think I have to buy the 2nd edition now...
Cash n Guns (Second Edition).

No comments:

Post a Comment