Sunday, August 24, 2014

Wonton-athon: Failed

Food this weekend ->
On Friday, Susanna, Ben and I were planning on making 500 wontons, and I termed it "wonton-aton", but we failed.  We ran out of the meat filling after about 120 wontons.  Susanna and my mom were putting too much meat in the wontons. 
The filling was marinated overnight and was made of pork, green onions, water chestnuts, and garlic chives.  Spiced with soy sauce, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder, sesame oil; and held together with a couple eggs and corn starch.  I think the key was the garlic chives.  It gave it a great crunch and garlicy flavour.
Wontons.
The wontons tasted really good.  I bought #15XL from KNH just for the pho broth.  We watered down the broth and added sprouts, pho noodles, and wontons.
Cooked Wontons.

Got some rice noodle wraps from the Chinese grocery store near Arby's.  They were fresh and really good.  I also got some sweet sesame balls (no pic).  Ate those at work, and they were amazing.  The outside was crunchy and had a hint of popcorn-ish flavour.  The filling was a green bean paste.  I need to get some more next weekend.
Rice Noodle Wraps

After Marc and Ed got poutine this week, I really wanted to eat poutine too.  I got medium poutine from Spuds.  I got the Pigs Gone Wild agains but with mushroom gravy.  It was topped with sausage, bacon, and pulled pork.  I bought some buns from FarmBoy this time, to eat the excessive amounts of meat :)

Spuds' Pigs Gone Wild.

Dinner at Anthony's house Sunday night.  I made italian meatballs in red pepper paste broth with garlic, onions, shitake mushrooms, quail eggs, and green beans.  I wanted to add mussels, but I don't think Jeff likes mussels.  Gaming after dinner.
Meatballs, Quail Eggs, Shitake Mushrooms, and Green Beans.

Useless M:tG News:
Picked up the limited set "From the Vault: Annihilation" from Kobold's Korner.  I actually paid the suggested retail price!  I was really surprised it wasn't insanely inflated.  I texted Gordon right afterwards, and he got his copy too.
FTV: Annihilation.

No comments:

Post a Comment