Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Chinese Casserole Restuarant

Lunch today -> Chinese Casserole Soup
Steve, Ed, and I went to the first day opening of Harbin Chinese Casserole Restaurant today.  The place looks very nice, but the chairs were abit big and awkward.  The menu on each table already had items crossed out.  Also today, there were no sides, scallion pancakes, or cold dishes available.
Menu.
Steve got the 2 meat and 1 vegetable combo: I1, I2, and J4.  It looked good.
Sweet & Sour Pork, Salt & Pepper Pork, and Shredded Potatoes.
Ed also got the 2 meat and 1 vegetable dish: I1, I3, and J7.  His looked good too.
Sweet & Sour Pork, Cabbage & Pork Belly, Mabu Tofu?
I went with a casserole because it's in the name of the restaurant so it had to be good.  Wrong.  I got Casserole B with A1.
Meatball, Tofu, Seaweed Casserole Soup and Stewed Pork Belly.
It was basically my grandma's seaweed soup (which I hate) with tofu squares and meat balls (too much ginger in them).  I thought the meatballs were made with tofu and seaweed, and I thought I was going to get something saucy not watery.  The stewed pork belly was excellent.  I could have eaten 3 bowls of rice with just the pork belly. 
BTW: they seem to top every dish with chopped parsely.  Big mistake to assume everyone likes it.  I'll have to tell them not to add it next time.

Conclusion: I'm willing to give them another chance but I won't get getting the casserole dishes.  I would be satisfied with a cheap meal of stewed pork belly and a few bowls of rice.

The GOOD news is that right next door (connected to the restaurant) is the Presotea bubble tea cafe.  I got a milky taro bubble tea with pearls and lychee bobas.  Will definitely be going back there for more bubble teas.

No comments:

Post a Comment