Monday, October 8, 2018

Long Weekend Report -> Fermented Fish!

Food this weekend ->
The family went to Montreal on Saturday for my uncle's birthday.  I had picked up Mario Party for the Nintendo Switch the day before and the kids and I had a blast playing it.

We had a birthday cake before leaving for Chinatown.  It was a black forest cake (my favorite)!  Pretty good, but I think I still prefer the version from Sobey's.
Birthday Cake.

Once we got to Chinatown and seated, the table had prepared sauces for the food.  Clockwise from top: red vinegar for the fish maw soup, hot sauce, course salt for the chicken, and the new white sauce was mashed stinky tofu and blended into a sauce.
Stinky Tofu Sauce!

After fish maw soup (no pic) was the karage (fried dark chicken chunks) and fried shrimp (also no pic).  It was very good.  They were large chunks of real chick like popcorn chicken, but splashed with mayo.  This was followed by the fried fish cake.  Very good, but the outside part could have been more crispy.
Fish Cake.
Then came the veggie dishes: Bok Choi with Shrimp,
Shrimp.
and Seafood with Snow Peas.
Seafood.
Chicken with shrimp chips was next.
Chicken.

Then came the fish.  It was a flayed fried fish covered in a sweet & sour sauce.  It was different but looked really tasty.  I took a big chunk and tried it.  Uggg!  It was so fishy!  The sweet & sour sauce made it worse as once that flavour disappeared, it uncovered the super fishy taste.  We told the waiter and he told us that our Uncle specifically ordered the fish to be made this way.  It was traditional from his village and that the chef tried to persuade him not to order it.  The fish was fermented for 2 days to give it that "fishy" taste.  Our table couldn't eat it.  My parent's table couldn't eat it and sent it back.  My Uncle's table finished it in a flash!  Anyways the restaurant packed the other 2 fish for them to take home.
2 Day Fermented Sweet & Sour Fish.

Next came the lamb in a hot pot.  Very good.  The lamb was so tender and flavourful.
Lamb Hot Pot.
Green onion with ginger lobster followed.  2 big meaty lobsters chopped up and prepared perfectly.
Lobster!

Finishing off the main dishes were the noodle dish and fried rice (no pics).  Desserts was red bean soup, oranges, and freshly steamed mini-sweet buns.  Then we had another birthday cake.  It was a giant strawberry short cake the restaurant cut up and served (no pic, they took it way too fast).
Hot and Toasty Mini Sweet Buns.

Sunday night, I made a prime rib roast.  I got a really nice cut from SuperStore, where it was the best sale price.  I used the easy 500degree method. 
Prime Rib Roast.
Came out a nice medium rare.  I took some to my parents house and then ate some with just plain white rice.
Mmm... Meat.

Useless Lego News:
While in MTL, Ben, Susanna, and I went to the Lego Store.  I picked up the Voltron Set.
Voltron.
It's got 16 bags of lego and the instructions are divided up by each lion.  I finished building 2 lions in a couple hours.  Hopefully I get the rest done soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment