Sunday, March 20, 2016

Weekend Report: Deep Fried Cheese Curds

Food this weekend ->
On Friday, Ben, Brian and I went to the Corny Dog in Barrhaven for dinner (formerly Spuds).  The make specialty hotdog and poutines.  I got the Coney Island dog and the Philly Steak Dog.  I also got a 1lb box of deep fried cheese curds to share.
The Corny Dog.
The Coney Island was good.  Basically chili on a large hotdog.  The Philly Steak Dog was so-so.  The guy working was new and didn't put the mushrooms on the grill.  He was told afterwards he was supposed to do so, when I asked about why the mushrooms were cold.  The deep fried cheese curds were very good, but $16 for the 1lb box is kind of expensive.

Dinner party at Jeff & Linda's on Sunday.  I didn't know what to make, but I wanted it to include some stewing beef and bailing mushrooms.  I started the dish with some mixed beans and carrots on the bottom.  Just boiled in salt water and then tossed in garlic butter and black pepper.
Veggie Base.
I topped the veggies with a layer of sliced bailing mushrooms that were boiled with the stewing beef.
Bailing Mushroom Layer.
Next I put the stewing beef and noodle knots on the mushrooms.
Beef and Noodle Knots Added.
I thought it needed more sauce, so I quickly made a cup of brown gravy and poured it over to finish it.
Topped with Brown Gravy.
I thought it was very good in the end.  The beef could have been better.  The cuts I got were too lean.
Ben made Korean short ribs.  He got alot of meat from the $30 slab of short ribs at T&T.
Korean Short Ribs.
Margaret made a raw vegetables platter and spring rolls.
Raw Veggie Platter.
Elizabeth and Dave made shrimp wraps.
Spring Rolls and Shrimp Wraps.
Linda made some mixed vegetables, yellow curry chicken, and butternut squash soup.  The curry was very good on rice, but the sauce needs less water.  The butternut squash soup was the opposite, but still good :)
Cooked Veggies.
My plate with abit of everything.
My First Plate.

Useless Gaming News:
Friday night we played a 3-player game of the stand-alone Dark Gothic expansion.  It's a deck builder that is semi-cooperative.  Good game.  Ben should get it.
Dark Gothic Expansion.
We played Roll for the Galaxy after that.  Your actions are dependent on what you roll and what random planets you draw and build.  I can see some people not like this game because it has alot of randomness in it, but I like it.

Sunday night at Jeff's we played Tsuro, Get Bit, Code Names, Dixit, and Walk the Plank.  Forgot to take some pics, but Code Names and Walk the Plank were really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment